If you’re looking for a way to make money from your creative work, Patreon is a great option.
However, if you are just starting out and or looking for an alternative, there are a number of other platforms that offer similar features.
So we’ve put together a list of the best Patreon alternatives for content creators, so you can start making money from your work today.
Disclosure: Our website is supported by readers. If you purchase any products through our partner links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
What is Patreon?
Patreon is a membership platform that lets people support the content creators they love with recurring monthly memberships. Founded in 2013 by musician Jack Conte and developer Sam Yam.
Creators who join Patreon can create pages on the site where they offer exclusive content or gifts to their patrons in exchange for a monthly membership.
For example, an artist might offer early access to new songs, or a writer might give exclusive blog posts or short stories to their subscribers.
This way, Patreon allows content creators to make money from their fans directly, rather than through advertising or other third-party sponsorships.
Best Patreon Alternatives for 2023
Whether you’re looking for a monthly subscription service, a one-time donation option, or an easy way to accept recurring subscriptions, this platform has something for you.
Let’s dive into a detailed list of the best Patreon alternatives for content creators in 2023.
Teachable is a platform that allows anyone to create and sell online courses. You can create courses on anything from cooking to woodworking to web development. It’s easy to use, requires no programming, and you can start selling your courses easily.
Plus, Teachable integrates with major payment processors so you can get paid quickly. You can also run courses under your own domain name and they have their own programs to provide additional resources to train content creators.
Reasons to try Teachable:
- Free to start
- Intuitive drag-and-drop course builder
- Affiliate marketing tools to get partners to promote your business
- Create a checkout page with full e-commerce capabilities to accept payments
- Integration with MailChimp, ConvertKit, Google Analytics and more. Course comments, quizzes, and certification features
Price: Teachable offers a free plan to create one course with limited features. And there is a transaction fee of $1 + 10%. The Basic Plan starts at $39/month (5% transaction fee on sales) which is best suited if you want to create more than one course.
Payhip is a platform that allows you to sell digital downloads, courses, and memberships. This is an easy and simple way to manage your sales and track your customers. You can create a payment account for free, and you can access all features and create unlimited product listings.
Payhip also handles the payment processing for you, so you receive payments in a variety of international currencies. This makes it an ideal platform for selling digital products to customers all over the world.
Reasons to try Payhip:
- Complete solution for selling your digital products
- Easy and simple checkout experience for customers
- Customize your payments to suit your brand
- Tell your customers about new products
- Run promotional campaigns with coupons, add expiration dates and more
Gumroad is a digital platform for artists to sell and distribute their products directly to their fans. Artists can create digital products such as e-books, music, videos, or works of art and set their prices. And take a small commission for each sale.
This is a simple way to make money selling digital downloads and physical products without having to manage a website or use a shopping cart.
Reason to try gum road:
- Free to start
- Create a simple membership
- Works for both digital and physical products
- Simple affiliate features to earn more
- Use Gumroad under your custom domain or embed it on your website
Price: Gumroad has no monthly fees. If you are new to the platform, they will take a 9% cut of your sales plus $0.30 per transaction.
Podia is an all-in-one platform that allows you to sell online courses, training, and more. With Podia, you can manage your entire online business from one platform, making it easier to create and sell your products.
Apart from that, Podia also offers various features to help you grow your business. For example, you can use Podia to create landing pages, build an email list, and accept payments. And if you need help getting started, Podia offers a variety of training materials and support options.
Reasons to try Podia:
- Get a mobile-friendly website for your brand
- Deliver your course content and receive payments
- Start your online community in the same place
- Integrates with YouTube Live to offer webinars
- Share your updates with your entire email list
Price: Podia has a free plan and they charge a transaction fee of 8%. Paid plans start at $39/month offering you more features and no transaction fees.
Buy Me a Coffee is an online donation platform that allows users to start a membership and sell whatever they like. The idea behind Buy Me a Coffee is to provide an easy way for people to donate money to their favorite content creators, as well as to sell products and services.
You can simply sell whatever you like to earn recurring income by accepting monthly or annual memberships. This could be a digital product, such as an eBook, Zoom call, or art commission.
Reasons to try Buy Me a Coffee:
- Free to start
- Accept donations, offer memberships, or sell anything
- An easy way to receive payments directly to your bank account
- Add a goal to gather support for a specific cause
- Sell digital downloads, live event tickets, and more.
Price: Buy Me a Coffee has no monthly fees and all features are free for everyone. They will take a 5% cut of anything you earn through the platform.
Ko-fi is another Patreon alternative that allows you to accept donations and memberships as well as sell digital or physical goods to your fans. It’s free and easy to use, and there are no fees or commissions taken from donations. You can create a page for your project, set up a payment method, and start accepting payments from your fans in minutes.
Ko-fi also offers a subscription service called Gold that provides additional features to offer a rewarding experience to your supporters.
Reasons to try Memberful:
- It offers easy user experience
- Accept Donations with 0% platform fees.
- Sell digital and physical goods
- Build monthly income with membership
- Set a crowdfunding goal to raise money for a project
Price: Ko-fi does not take a cut of your donation. Premium features come with the Gold plan at $6/month.
Member is a great option if you want to sell memberships on your existing WordPress site. It’s easy to use and integrates with Stripe, making it a convenient choice for accepting payments.
It also provides a variety of tools to help you manage your membership and track conversion analysis and activity metrics. It’s a good choice for businesses of all sizes, from small one-person operations to large corporations.
Reasons to try Memberful:
- WordPress plugin for membership management
- Staff are responsible for your team
- Conversion analysis and tracking
- Coupons, discounts and referral programs
- Requires a Stripe account to process your payments
Price: Free to start with a 10% transaction fee. Paid plans start at $25/month with 4.9% transaction fees.
Easy Digital Downloads is a WordPress plugin that allows you to sell digital products such as eBooks, PDF files, music, software licenses and more on your existing WordPress site. You can list products, set prices, and manage orders and downloads easily.
This plugin has a built-in shopping cart system that makes it easy for customers to purchase products. You can also customize the checkout process and track the download activity of each product so you can see how popular they are.
Reasons to try Easy Digital Downloads:
- Ease of setup and integration with WordPress
- Shopping cart with Buy Now or Add to Cart button
- Ability to keep separate records for your customers
- Discount codes are flat rate or percentage based
- View earnings reports and export data to CSV files
Price: Available as a free version that you can install on WordPress. Paid versions start at $99.50 for extended functionality.
Which of These Patreon Alternatives is Best for You?
To be clear, each of these Patreon alternatives has its own advantages and disadvantages. It’s important to consider what you’re looking for in a crowdfunding platform before making a decision.
- If you want to sell Patreon style subscriptions or online courses, try Teachable or Podia.
- If you are a content creator who wants to sell digital goods, you can choose platforms like Payhip or rubber road.
- If you just want to fund your side hustle with your creativity, check it out Buy Me a Coffee or Ko-fi.
- To build a website and grow as a business, check it out Member, Easy Digital Downloads.
But the best choice for you depends on your specific needs and goals.
So, take some time to evaluate your situation and choose the platform that works best for you!